SEARCH

Friday, September 30, 2016

Translabyrinthine

When it comes to acoustic neuromas it really does come down to personal choice and patient preference (for the most part, I do understand there are some cases where this isn't as true).

There are three approaches available surgically to remove acoustic neuromas Middle Fossa, Translabrinthe and Retrosigmoid, one is bound to work for you if surgery is what you choose.  Each also has it's risks and it may come down to what you want to have preserved.  For me the most important thing was to make sure my facial nerve receives the utmost attention and focus so as to not damage it permanently.

I did my research and had made my mind made up before I even met with the first doctor.  I just had to hope they saw it my way and would make it easy.  Based on my research my choice was to have surgery via the Middle Fossa approach.....WELL.....there is a reason why we see the experts because they know more about these tumors than any amount of research I could have done.  Needless to day Middle Fossa wasn't an option.  The reason Middle Fossa wasn't an option is due to the size of my tumor, it is only effective for smaller tumors.

When I spoke to both doctors they made their recommendations and both agreed that WW (watch and wait) as well as radiation (gamma knife) were not the option for me, thankfully I agreed, what I didn't agree on was that the approach I didn't want was the one they were recommending, the dreaded translab.  With translab there is guaranteed permanent hearing loss but also the highest chance of saving my facial nerve.

During translab surgery part of the ear anatomy is damaged enough that hearing loss is caused. It is also the best approach for seeing the facial nerve first and being able to get it out of the way while removing the tumor and that means a better chance of protecting the nerve.  In my case the surgeon will remove the tumor in it's entirety unless the facial nerve is compromised, and, because AN's are slow growing this may not even be a cause for concern in regards to it growing back.  If the facial nerve is damaged it can cause facial paralysis of the permanent variety and a list of problems to deal with including being deaf in one ear (SSD= single sided deafness).  With facial paralysis comes potential for your eye to become damaged since you won't be able to blink, you will need to add drops to your eye constantly and wear a patch at night. There is potential to fix it with surgery if need be though.




The translab approach enters just behind the ear so the scar will be well hidden by my hair.  It is also one of the most direct approaches and estimated 8 hours in the operating room.


I am choosing surgery!




1 comment:


  1. Dr itua healing herbs.
    The worst time has passed”However, it is true that there are more improvements than before...because of the rising numbers of people living with HIV in the state of Nevada. How could they stigmatize all of them? Therefore everything becomes a little easier and we start to share everything... We also started to invite and visit each other in a community. You know, it is six years since I started taking antiretroviral drugs...Yet whatever problems I face, the worst time has passed
    When I was evicted from the family home by my mother, my father rented a small room for me. But my mother and brothers believed that having HIV was my own fault – and that I deserved to be punished...I also considered myself unworthy and without hope... But I have a child and eventually I convinced myself to live for my child’s sake.
    My mother knew nothing [about HIV]. She didn’t understand anything. Do you know why? She didn’t have [the chance] to go out of the house and communicate with society. However, my father does interact with the community. I know his friends are mature and dignified in africa america. So he has a better understanding than her.
    My father came call me on a sadfull day sitting on my couch about a friend of his from africa who introduce him to Dr Itua herbal cure in africa in which he advise we should purchase his herbal medicine to cure my hiv so we did and Dr Itua prescribed I should drink the herbal medicine for two weeks to cure although we were so curious about the whole thing ,I finished the herbal medicine like he advised then he talked to me to visit my nearest clinic for check up I did and now I'm totally cured from Hiv my father was my rock and I and my family are now happy together also Dr Itua has be helpful in my community ever since he cure my Hiv and my tinnitus so why I'm leaving my story on here today is to reach out someone out here to hope on God and never give up no matter the situation you that you are facing especially through this pandemic seasons which has really taught us all on how we should be helpful to each other and cherish one another.
    Dr Itua cures the following diseases..... Herpes,Liver cancer,Throat cancerLeukemia. ,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis.
    Intestinal cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Bladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Tinnitus,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer ,Thyroid Cancer.
    You can contact Dr Itua Herbal Center on E-Mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com .www.drituaherbalcenter.com.

    ReplyDelete